makes 12 medium cookies. (Please don't substitute any of these ingredients, or they don't work out. )
1/4 cup of fat (Vegetable trex or lard)
1/4 cup real butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp vanilla
disolved in 2 tsp hot water - 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp bicarb
Cream fats and sugar togetheradd egg and vanillaadd flour add water mixture and combine to smooth doughstir in chocolate chips or other mix ins.
2. roll dough
take 1/2 a 1/4 cup of mix and roll into tight balls, press till its about 1.5cm thick and resembles a puck. (at this staget the dough can be frozen flat on a tray and baked from frozen, increase cooking time to 10 min. )
no need to grease tray. Space evenly, leaving an inch space beteen. bake at 200C for 8 min.
When removed from oven drop tray onto side or bored, this removes air added by action of bicarb, but leaves the textrue it creats. JUST TRUST ME. leave on tray for 10 min before transfering to wire rack or eating.
Cost is for basic dough with chocolate chunks (other variation ideas are listed below)
Tesco Bicarb 170G £0.99 £0.03
Tate and lyle Granulated Sugar 1Kg Packet £0.88 £0.07
Tesco dark brown Sugar 500g £1.39 £0.35
Tesco Everyday Value Plain Flour 1.5Kg £0.52 £0.12
Tesco Everyday Value Eggs Box Of 15 £1.50 £0.10
Tesco Everyday Value Lard 250G £0.33 £0.08
Tesco Everyday Value butter £0.89 £0.23
Tesco Value chocolate £0.30 £0.30
Variations are endless, these are my favorites
1. Double Chocolate - Replace 1/2 cup of flour with 1/3 cup coco and add 100g chopped white chocolate.
2. Snickerdoodle - Plain dough rolled in cinnamon sugar (2Tbsp cinamon, 1/4 cup sugar should do this batch.
3. Oatmeal - Replace 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup of rolled oats. then add either 100g of raisens and 1tsp of cinnamon, OR 100g dark chocolate.
4. Terry's - Add the zest of 1 orange to the sugar, use chocolate dough and 100g milk chocolate/ orange chocolate.
5. Reeses - Reduce the lard by 1Tbsp and add 2 Tbsp of crunchy peanut butter, add 50g milk chocolate and 1 packets reeses pieces (available at sainsbury and asda). also good with the chocolate dough.